As the father of an autistic child, I have been faced with more than a few necessary home modifications projects. Unfortunately, with the high cost of raising a special needs child and my wife's decision to stay home and raise our son, there simply was no room in our budget to hire a contractor to complete these projects for us. Each weekend for nearly a year, I would pick a project to work on. This past month, I finally finished every project on my list. After learning more than I thought I would ever know about home construction and repair, I have a new found appreciation for the skills of general and specialty contractors. That is why I decided to start this blog to pay tribute to the job these contractors do, and help to empower more homeowners to take on the role of a contractor in their home.
After a process that likely involved looking at and comparing dozens of homes, you have made your choice, closed the deal, and become a homeowner. As you embark on this new responsibility, it is normal to have many new questions arise about your home, including some about the chimney. If you are unfamiliar with the care and maintenance needs of a chimney, here are three important points for you to consider as part of your role as a homeowner.
Always inspect the chimney before use each year
Chances are high that the home inspection process you used during the purchase of your home included a basic chimney inspection. While helpful in denoting obvious condition issues, it is important that homeowners have an annual, in-depth chimney inspection performed before using it for the first time and then each year thereafter.
Wind, lightning, and foundation settlement, as well as improper size, usage, or installation, can all create an unsafe chimney situation and put the home at risk for experiencing a devastating fire. An annual inspection, along with a proactive cleaning schedule, will help to ensure that your home's chimney will continue to be safe to use.
Make sure the chimney is sized properly
The size of the chimney is a critical factor in whether it will be safe to use. A chimney that is too small in diameter for the wood stove or fireplace it will serve can result in a poor user experience, as well as a potential for the development of dangerous carbon monoxide levels within the home.
Consider upgrades to improve safety and performance
In addition to chimney size, homeowners should also be aware that carbon monoxide poisoning is also a possibility when chimneys become clogged, so the installation of detection devices and air quality monitors should also be a priority.
A frequent cause of damage to existing chimneys equipped with clay tile flue liners is when lightning strikes the chimney during a thunderstorm. The force of the strike can result in visible breakage of the liner, as well as deeper cracking that cannot be easily seen. If a chimney is used with this type of damage, the heat from the fire can cause building materials close to the chimney to become too hot and catch fire. Homeowners who want to avoid the potential for chimney damage from lightning may want to consider the installation of a protective stainless steel liner.
To learn more about cleaning, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading your home's chimney, take time to seek out the advice of a reputable chimney services contractor in your area.
For more information, contact a company like Allstate Chimney Service.Share
27 June 2019